Thursday, September 29, 2011

Once Upon A Time

Until now, I haven't actually explained the story that I will be telling in my final in any more detail other than that it is a combination of The Tortoise And The Hare and The Wolf In Sheep's Clothing.
Here's a rundown of events in my story:

The setting is a town of some sort. There won't be any people but rather the town is populated by animals similar to my main characters. I could call it Furryville for kicks, but I'd rather just leave the place unnamed and save everybody the embarrassment.

The first scene shows a shop and introduces the tortoise, who is looking for a camera to purchase, the sheep is also seeking the same camera.
Yeah, I know that animals buying a camera comes out of nowhere, but it's a cartoon, you'll get over it.

The tortoise grabs the camera to buy, but it's the last one, and the sheep steals it from him and then accidentally drops it and breaks it.

As they leave the store angry they see a sign for a race being held the next day. The prize is the same kind of camera. And just like magic, we have a plot device.
The sheep seems afraid of losing to the tortoise, but his friend the hare is really fast and he pressures him into racing in a sheep disguise.

While the hare races, the sheep intends to leave traps for the tortoise to guarantee he fails.

While thinking about how that's going to work in the story, I realized that this sounds very similar to what might be seen in old Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons. I may decide to add a few little tributes to those beloved classics somewhere in my piece.

There was originally going to be a wolf in the race as well, so that I would be using all of the characters from the two fables. After realizing that the sheep is actually a bigger antagonist than the wolf, the wolf was dropped and replaced with a dog.

I won't have any details of exactly what sort of diabolical traps the sheep places in the race until I go to make the storyboard for this project.

In the end, the sheep's meddling backfires and actually causes the dog to win the race and the camera. As the sheep chases the hare away furiously the dog is actually nice enough to give the tortoise the camera. I guess the story ends happily for someone.

So, I have a beginning and the end, but a very vague middle. This will be worked out in the coming weeks when I storyboard the project and decide on gags, scenery, shot choices and scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment